Welcome to The Identity Security 5 Minute Warriors Guide Series!
Time to enroll in the Basic Warriors Academy!
Your basic training will consist of the “12 Do’s” and “12 Don’ts” of Identity Security. Each module will be about 5 minutes long, so suck it up buttercup. No whining or complaining allowed. If you can’t listen and watch for 5 minutes, then it’s time to eject and go back to blissful ignorance. But if you choose to stick it out with me (and I make it really simple), then you will be among the elite when Basic Training is over.
The 5 Minute Warriors Guide to Identity Security will give you the knowledge, behaviors, insight, guidance and advice you need to stay safe online, offline and in the real world. That’s what makes this different. This training is comprehensive based on the way you actually live your life.
So buckle up, tighten the chin strap on your helmet and press Play. Shields Up!
Basic Training Course – Do’s
- Week 1: Use two-factor authentication. If you don’t know what it is then you absolutely need it.
- Week 2: Update your security software and operating system.
- Week 3: Put a PIN or passcode on ALL your mobile devices.
- Week 4: Encrypt your home wireless network and turn on personal firewalls.
- Week 5: Get identity theft protection with comprehensive restoration.
- Week 6: Encrypt your data – period. All of it. No excuses. Moving or stopped. Get a VPN.
- Week 7: Enable remote wiping or Erase Data features on all your smart phones and tablets.
- Week 8: Only use sites for online shopping that use ‘https’ at checkout.
- Week 9: Back up everything – computers, smart phones and tablets. Emergencies don’t make appointments.
- Week 10: Delete holiday eCards, Message Waiting notices, Facebook giveaways, fabulous deals, you name it.
- Week 11: Get a shredder – a cross-cut shredder and shred, shred, shred.
- Week 12: Turn off location based services on social media apps.
Basic Training Course – Don’ts
- Week 13: Post your holiday travel plans. Nope. Don’t do it.
- Week 14: Be the bait for phishing and spear phishing attacks – think about that link.
- Week 15: Fall for the sense of urgency – kittens will not die and you’re not about to inherit $14M.
- Week 16: Carry your SSN card or hand out your SSN like it’s Christmas candy.
- Week 17: Wire money to anyone unless they’re friends/family and you know FOR SURE it’s them.
- Week 18: Click on social media giveaways – Bill Gates and Walmart don’t know who you are.
- Week 19: Go looking for love in all the wrong places. It never ends well. Don’t you listen to country music?
- Week 20: Get holiday or payday loans online from strangers…unless it’s cash from family and they’re not the Mafia.
- Week 21: Use ATM’s in unfamiliar places.
- Week 22: Share your credit card information with the world when you’re in public.
- Week 23: Connect over public WiFi when you absolutely, positively just have to shop online. Unless…
- Week 24: Allow anyone – and I mean ANYONE – to copy your ID/passport/Driver’s License unless there is a LEGAL reason and information protection is explained in clear, easy to understand non-lawyer language.