Notorious Hacker Guccifer ‘Temporarily Extradited’ To USA For 18 Months…Why Now? I Have A Theory.
“I don’t believe in coincidence” said a Russian KGB agent once. I know…I heard it in a James Bond movie so it must be true. What is true is that the Romanian hacker Guccifer is coming to a courtroom near you for the next 18 months. He has been ‘temporarily extradited‘ to face trial on a bunch of charges here in the good old U.S. of A.
Guccifer – aka Marcel Lehel – is charged with hacking several accounts belonging to high-profile politicians and celebrities, including former President George W. Bush. I get it…he broke into email accounts. While a bad act, not necessarily one worthy of the level of negotiation necessary to get Lehel back to the States on a temporary basis (why not permanent?) to stand trial. If convicted – then what? Sent back to Romania?
As Coach Lee Corso likes to say – “Not so fast my friend.”
Guccifer Is Here For A Reason
That reason, in my humble little opinion, is the the current FBI investigation that began after Hillary Clinton’s email account was exposed through the hacking of Sydney Blumenthal. I’m not going to spend any time talking about that – you can Google it. But here are the emails Guccifer sent to one publication.
The minute – and I do mean the minute – those emails were made public, any self-respecting intelligence agency (friend and foe alike) would have had their targeting officers salivating to get the first crack at Clinton’s email server. From the beginning, it seems to me that her server was exposed, compromised and copied.
And who better to ask about that then the man who got it all started – Guccifer.
The FBI Has A Material Witness In Guccifer
What is Guccifer wasn’t here to stand trial at all? What if he were here to…testify? The FBI recently worked out an immunity deal for the IT specialist, Bryan Pagliano, who helped Clinton set up the server. We now know this involves matters of national security as the FBI investigates the presence of classified information, including Top Secret and Special Access Programs.
Are you telling me we’d rather prosecute a Romanian (be careful – Lehel lived in Transylvania) for pedestrian computer crime offenses, or offer him a deal to testify about what he knows?
My Conspiracy Theory
Ok – here goes.
- Guccifer will testify before a grand jury. The timing of his extradition and the Pagliano immunity deal is too coincidental.
- Guccifer knows more that what has been reported on. If he could hack Blumenthal, what’s to prevent him from hacking Clinton’s server? Their rock-solid cybersecurity? Hardly.
- Foreign intelligence services (friendly and not-so-friendly) obtained access shortly after news of the account was reported.
- Pagliano will testify as to the actions taken after news of the secret email account was made public.
- The FBI will refer the case for prosecution.
- DOJ will wait until it sees how the election will pan out, and decline prosecution if it appears the Republicans will win in November (won’t take a chance on allowing an R president to appoint an AG will prosecute a high-profile D).
- Alternate Theory on #6: The Obama-Clinton relation is so strained, the case will get referred and an indictment will happen before the election.
- In case #6 prevails, information will begin to leak about the case. Comey resigns in protest. He’s too big of a pain-in-the-politics to the current administration.
As Dennis Miller used to say after his rants on his HBO show “That’s just my opinion…I could be wrong.”